Thursday, May 20, 2010

Late Spring Showers


I was sitting on my bed, contemplating and new project and looking at an array of fabrics, when I looked up and saw the rain out the window. Limbs from the bushes outside the building were swaying to and fro as the drops hit them and the wind picked them up again. I saw drops sliding off the leaves and dropping straight down to the ground below. Everything was getting a through washing. And the sounds: tap, tap, tap, drip, drip, splat, not in a symmetrical pattern. Leaves glistening with the wetness, as well as looking like they were reaching out and up for more! New growth on the branch ends had the look of thriving tenderness in a cloak of new green. As the rain subsided, the leaves seemed to stop dancing and just a few would make movement as the last few sparse raindrops hit them. Tap, tap, tap, I listened for a while, so soothing, then the tapping pattern picked up again as the clouds decided that there were still layers of moisture that they didn’t want to hold.
Tap, tap, tap,
So pleasing the rain sounds.
Drip, drip, drip,
Washing and wetting the grounds.

Tap, tap, drip,
Puddles begin to splat.
Drip, drip, droop,
A flower lays out flat.

Such a great sound,
Such a wonderful respite,
The sights and sounds
Of late spring showers delight.


(written by Linda Pruitt 5/18/10 1:45 PM)

3 comments:

Marlene said...

Linda, it is so nice that you can find the beauty in all this rain. I guess I would enjoy it more if it weren't so cold, and then last night the wind. Have a beautiful day.

CountryDreaming said...

Love how that flower outside matches the quilt in your blog header!

Memories for Life said...

Great poem :)
It reminds me that rain is a good thing for our earth and our plants even if I do prefer sunny skies!