Sunday, October 23, 2011

A blast from the Past!


Recently I took a trip to see my sister and my mother.  We had lots of fun sight seeing, and visiting and looking at old photograph books.  We also went thru some old books, old sewing patterns, and a huge stack of music from our childhood.  I brought home some patterns and some of the sheet music.  It brought back a lot of memories.
I don't write much about myself in this blog. I don't feel that I am a very interesting subject, but I do know that I am interested when a blogger friend posts pictures of her childhood life and family. So maybe someone is interested in the life I led----years ago. 
No, that's not me--I'm not that old! 
(Just threw that in for kicks, since I was talking all about 'old' stuff!  hehe!)


When I was a little girl, my mother said that I loved watching the musicians play at church.  At that time--a long time ago--there was a pianist, saxophonist, a percussionist and a couple of people playing accordions--I know . . you young folks probably don't even know what that is!  Mom said that I was fascinated with the accordions.  I was pretty little at the time, so when I got old enough, she decided to get me some lessons.  Kids now days usually learn music at school, to start with.  They play a recorder with their class and then graduate on to specific instruments of their choice, if desired. That not being available to me, she called an Italian gentleman that had a music studio teaching the accordion to kids. 


I went for lessons every week, and practiced after school for 30-45 minutes every day before heading out to play in the yard with friends.  My little sister also took lessons.  We had "band" (all accordion) rehearsals with the other students and we learned to play solos, duets, and ensembles.  We practiced for the BIG recital all year long. 
(I was very shy and didn't like the thought of performing, but that is another story!)  


Little sister DeLynn, Myron Floren, me and the band.

I found this picture among my mother's photos.  It is of the year that our invited guest performer was Myron Floren.  He was the man that played the accordion on television for the Lawrence Welk show.   He was a very accomplished musician, although he mostly was only called upon to play polka's on the show.  He played several music selections for us and the audience.  Then he played with us when our "band" played a number.  This particular year, he knelt down right between my sister (with the small black accordion) and me!  As you can see by the picture, I was biting my lip, trying not to steal the show with a great big grin on my face.  I was overjoyed that the TV "star" was so close and playing with us!  And he was soooooo handsome!

Here's a video of Myron playing a song that I learned too! Bet he played it better than me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqURmXMEGFI

      Did you ever meet any celebrities when you were a child?

18 comments:

Memories for Life said...

What a fun post! Thanks for sharing your photos!
I was in a pageant when I was little and the MC was a local news anchor...I thought he was a celebrity at the time :)

Lostlemonade said...

Met several through dance recitals and competitions. This was a great post. Love that picture!

Sheryl Hastings said...

Oh how I love looking at old photos! I love looking at the ones of us when we were older. I look at the hair and clothing and say, "What the heck were we thinking?"

Thanks for sharing the photos and the story. What a great memory.

storybeader said...

that is a GREAT photo. Make sure to make a copy! I remember the Lawrence Welk show, though I wasn't a big fan. It's great that your mother got you lessons - I think all children should play a musical instrument and expand their minds. My sister and I played the piano, kinda like the accordion! {:-D

Erika said...

Thank you for sharing these great photos. I like to check out the old photos/postcards at the local paper shop. What a great memory and you played music with a star!!

Erika
It’s a Wrap Link Party at Artful Rising

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

How fun! I met Billy Ray Cyrus when I was 8 or 9. Back then he was still rocking the mullet. :-)

Honey from the Bee said...

I think it's interesting how folks always think their story isn't interesting! My gosh - accordion player and getting to play with the Lawrence Welk guy! and getting your photo taken with him?! That's so cool. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the photos and story. Very interesting. I do remember seeing a few people play accordions as a child. Now you never see them.

Abby / Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda E. Pruitt said...

artisanallunwound- You are correct! You never see them anymore. I say, and have said for years that "accordion is a dead instrument"--kinda like a harpsicord! I don't even have one anymore, I play the piano now.

Unknown said...

Great story! I was also the child in church desperately wishing to play an instrument; you are very lucky your parent recognized your desire and followed through with lessons. What a wonderful opportunity it led to!

Anonymous said...

How lovely! Glad you guys had a great time together;)

Rose Clearfield said...

The accordion photo is so awesome. My brother just took up the accordion a few years ago. I did meet a handful of celebrities over the years as a kid, including several members of the Bulls basketball team.

Zuda Gay Pease said...

What a great story! Not too many celebs came to Quincy, IL when I was growing up.

BeadedTail said...

Thanks for sharing your photos! How fun that you met a celebrity! When I was a kid, I saw George Brett up close during practice before a Royals game and he was a big celebrity to me! :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

I love old photos! so glad you shared this! That must have been amazing! It takes a lot of coordination to play the accordion. I wonder how long you played, if you still play.
I just read through the comments and see that you don't own one anymore.
Let's see....When I was young my cousin got married and Eugene McCarthy was there. (I grew up in the Washington DC area.) I didn't meet them, but my mother worked at the radio station that introduced the Beatles. My friend's father was a professional photographer (for the Redskins) and got to photograph them. That's just once removed, right?!

Judy Nolan said...

Linda, you need to share more posts like this! I really enjoyed seeing you as part of a children's accordion band; I have never heard of children doing that!

Anonymous said...

Love that picture with you and the all little girls playing the accordions. You don't see kids play those any more these days, that is for sure.
You have a lovely blog.
In answer to you question about the link to the bookswaps:
I did not leave a link in my post. But if you click on the "goodreads reviews" on the left side bar of my blog it will link you over to my goodreads reviews. From that website you can find out all about joining goodreads, and if you sign up to be part of the goodreads community you can participate in the bookswaps.(it is a really cool site, if you are a book worm). I hope that answers your question.
If you do join and need some help navigating around goodreads let me know via my blog. I check every day.
Thanks for your kind comments.
Cheers,
Leah