Friday, December 2, 2011

A New Artisan Friend!

At one of the Fall craft shows that I participated in, I met a vendor, Julie, that was two tables down the hall from me.  I was not only intrigued with her artistic abilities, but that she has recently moved from Texas to Portland, where I live.  Since I have lived in Texas and we are fellow Christians, I guess you might say I was drawn to her, although we really did not get much time to visit at the show.  So, I chose to feature her today and I hope you will visit her Etsy shop and website

One of my absolute favorites!  I love Tulips!


You can get a great view of  Julie's art at her website! 

I asked Julie a few questions:

1) What is your studio/space like, where you do your work?

Currently I work at a studio that is Activ Space that is down in the Pearl District (Artsy district downtown Portland). I share a space with one my best friends who is a personal stylist with Stella and Dot. Our space is not real glamorous right now, since we just moved here from Texas and left all of our belongings behind to be retrieved in January. In time it will be beautiful. My space before moving to Portland was in our home in Houston, TX. It was a tiny precious little room. I painted it a soft colored blue and tried to make it feel very shabby chic.

2) What interesting exhibits, charity events or other, have you participated in?

Since I've just begun my little business, I haven't participated in very many events, exhibits, etc... I have primarily participated in smaller craft fairs this falls and last year I participated in a large one at my church in Houston where 20% of the profit made went to Living Water International. Living Water is an organization that my husband and I support and desire to be more involved. Their focus and purpose to provide clean water to those who have none. They are trying to end the water crisis as well as share about the true Living Water, Jesus. For more information go to www.water.cc/.

3) What is your favorite medium to work with, creatively?

My favorite medium I like to work with when it comes to painting is acrylic...I love how fast it dries! I also love music to paint over.


JulieChariee on Etsy
She went on to say . . . . In other creative works...I like so many things! I think vintage fabrics and lace are my favorite as well as old buttons and pendants. Most of my pieces that I make are reminders of my grandmother. She gave me all of her old laces and buttons and an old hymnal that incorporated in a lot of my art works. In using the things that she gave to me or things that resemble them, I feel like I'm reminding myself of where my family has come from and trying to help others appreciate the beauty of past generations. My grandmother shared with me that when their clothes wore out and they would turn them into rags, they would always take the buttons off to recover and reuse because buttons were expense. That story was such a reminder and challenge to me to respect the things that were valuable during that time in history and use them for something beautiful today.

JulieChariee on Etsy
Find out more about Julie on her Etsy shop profile as you take a look at her work there too! I'm so happy to promote a new friend!

Where have you met a new friend lately?


5 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

a great feature on your new friend Julie! The tulips are beautiful!

Memories for Life said...

That's one of my favorite parts about shows...meeting fun new people :)
Great feature on Julie!

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

I love the painting of the tulips!

Kathleen said...

I remember taking buttons off and zippers out of clothes to save them for other projects later. Meeting new friends is fun! Beautiful artwork =)

Rose Clearfield said...

I agree with Edi. How fun! She does beautiful work, too. I'm glad that you were able to make this connection.