Monday, December 30, 2013

Winter Fog

When I was young, I lived in an area that almost never got snow.  We had rain, although not very much of it; only about 2 inches per year . . . but we had fog! And, no . . . I didn't live on the coast!  (more about that in a moment.) It was a mostly foggy dreary winter for us. It wasn't like Carl Sandburg's famous poem:

Fog

The fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.


In our town, the fog never moved on! It was there all winter, and WOW! was it cold, since the sun never shown for days and weeks on end.  It was not the normal fog that most people are familiar with and are used to creeping in early in the morning and then leaving ("moving on" as Sandburg puts it) like it does on the coast ("harbor and city").  This wintry fog is a phenomenon in the San Joaquin Valley in my home state of California.  It's due to a temperature inversion, and  is called "Tule fog"-- pronounced tu-lee.  It forms after the first good rain fall in Autumn and it stays, because of the high pressure patterns of our weather, all the way through to March, sometimes! Here is a bird's eye view of the huge San Joaquin socked in for the nearly 400 miles of it! If you are familiar with the California coastline, you can probably distinguish the San Francisco Bay area, although I lived in the southern tip of the valley.

Picture from Wikipedia Tule fog article
Sew, earlier this year when I made my art piece, called Emerging Foggy Spring, shown here, I knew exactly what I was wanting to portray. (Here is the original post of the making of this piece.) (Also did another post a couple of years ago, of a foggy acrylic painting that I did.)

link 
Now, I am wanting, pondering in my creative thoughts actually, to design an embroidery piece that embodies fog!  Such a challenge, but I'm up for a challenge! Of course I will share it when I am finished! What do ya think?  You up for a new challenge in your new year? Hope this post sparks some of your own creative juices!

Note: This is actually a blog post for my favorite Etsy team, the Blogging Business Artisans! Why not go on over and see what the other members have come up with--it might just inspire you!

Also linking with Create-with-Joy  today!



5 comments:

Lisabella Russo said...

What a beautiful challenge! Beautiful art. I'm sure your newest creation will be wonderful.

Unknown said...

what a lovely quilt...and i would love to see your creation on fog.
Debbi
-yankeeburrow

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I live in the sunny Midwest. I just cannot imagine fog like that!
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Duni said...

I know that San Francisco has foggy days, but I didn't know the fog stayed permanently in the place you used to live in! Beautiful quilt!

storybeader said...

I love your (machine?) quilting. How neat. And that fog in the valley - amazing. I lived in California for about 5 years, and in San Francisco half of that time. I loved it, but missed my family. Then I left! Happy New Years to you and yours. {:-Deb