Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tip of the Day

Asparagus! A cancer fighter? That's what a new friend told me. I met Angel at a Craft Bazaar that I was participating in yesterday. We were talking and she told me she eats Asparagus every day, because it is proven to "eat cancer cells." I have never heard of this!

So, being a good researcher, I looked into it. I found lots of info about it! (Is it strange that when you go to the doctor that they don't tell you this nutritional information.) Anyway, what I found was:

History:

  • Asparagus used to be a delicacy in one of the 10 or 12 dishes offered in Chinese Wedding Feasts.
  • It is noted as an epicurean delight and also for its medicinal qualities.
  • The origin of asparagus was in the eastern Mediterranean region but now it has spread throughout the world.
  • In the 18th century, King Louis XIV of France popularized the asparagus.

Medicinal Properties:

  • Asparagus is one of nature's most perfect foods.
  • Asparagus are poor in calories and loaded with vitamins and minerals.
  • Asparagus also contains the phyto-chemical glutathione, which has antioxidant and anticarcinogenic properties.
  • According to the National Cancer Institute, asparagus is the highest tested food containing glutathione, one of the body's most potent cancer fighters. Glutathione is involved in detoxification. It binds to fat-soluble toxins, sucha as heavy metals, solvents, and pesticides, and transforms them into a water-soluble form that can be excreted in the urine.
  • Additionally, asparagus is high in rutin, which is valuable in strengthening the blood vessels.

These history facts are from an internet article. The medical properties of asparagus are taken from the writing of Lucinda Ball of the UK written in 2005.

5 comments:

Expressions By Devin said...

Wonderful post I never knew that. i look forward to reading more blog post:0)

Splendid Little Stars said...

Yay! I love asparagus! Now I'll eat even more! I like to brush it with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast it in the oven.

storybeader said...

I love asparagus! And now I have a good reason to eat it too!!

Erika said...

I also like asparagus and that is great to hear about its health benefits!

Unknown said...

That's fab to know - thanks!! We eat loads of asparagus when it's in season - now I have an answer to all those cynics that make jokes about smelly wee :-)