Friday, June 5, 2009

Preening



When I need a break, I go for a walk at Crystal Springs Garden in Portland. It's a rhododendron garden with lovely walking paths by the lake.


There are "more than 2,500 rhododendrons, azaleas, and companion plants that have been donated by volunteers and interested individuals. Beginning in early spring and continuing into summer, they provide a magnificent display of color, giving visitors the opportunity to view many varieties rarely seen in the Pacific Northwest. During the fall, many companion trees add dramatic coloring. Spring-fed Crystal Springs Lake surrounds much of the garden, attracting many species of birds and waterfowl."


I particularly love to watch the birds from a nearby bench. Some days we see the resident turtles sunning themselves on a downed tree or stump. The whole environment is one of rest and peace while out in nature! What better place to revive your creative juices?


3 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

sounds wonderful!

Unknown said...

I read about this garden at the library recently (in a magazine) and it sounds amazing too! Have you seen it? http://www.portlandchinesegarden.org/

Linda E. Pruitt said...

Thanks for the comment and the visit to my blog, Wendy. No I haven't been to this Chinese Garden, but I have been to the Japanese Garden and the Rose Garden. Both are beautiful!