Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bug!

I wrote about "June's acomin' " at the end of May and so I will take up from where I left off! I talked about the Gershwin song "Summertime" and about June Bugs! Another bug that I associate with summer is the lightning bug! I miss warm humid summer evenings in Missouri. I miss sitting on the porch watching the clouds billow, and seeing the gentle bugs that are also called fireflies. They fly slowly and erratically, like they are floating for a while, then rise with little effort (at least it looks that way), all the while flashing their abdomen. They are so peaceful! Ahhhhhhh. For more info check out this link. http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/bugs/firefly.html





Other great memories of summer is going on trips to the mountains. Last year we went to Olympic National Park in Washington State. The above picture is of Hurricane Ridge. Gorgeous views! http://www.nps.gov/olym/







And then there is the water! Who doesn't like getting in the pool, stream, lake or the nearest aquatic park? This is my grandson enjoying a NW bay park. Wouldn't I love to not be inside right now and go get drenched with him?

6 comments:

Memories for Life said...

The lightening bugs are in "full glow" right now :) I love to watch them too!
Enjoy your summer!

LazyTcrochet said...

Here too! I was going to write about them too. The field was full of them last night!

uniquecommodities said...

I LOVE lightning bugs! God is so creative

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I love Hurricane Ridge!

Splendid Little Stars said...

Yes! getting drenched with cool water on a hot summer day....loveliness! I so want to go to Olympic. (Do feel free to post more photos.) And lightning bugs...one of summer's most wonderful delights!

storybeader said...

looks like fun! I miss fireflies too. Funny, I don't remember seeing them anymore, and when I was young, they were all over. Thanks for the memories! {:-Deb