Friday, October 23, 2009

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

The Etsyblogger's blog carnival for this cycle was to tell a personal story or how you promote awareness about one of the causes for this month. This was an easy topic for me since I promote awareness of women's Breast Cancer issues and carry a line of BC items all year. My signature item is a Breast Cancer Quilt that I make. I use a picture of it as my banner for my Handcrafts shop. I have had several quilt buyers give them, to comfort a friend who is struggling with the disease. I gave one away as a prize to the American Cancer Society's "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer" walk for the cure. I hope and pray that the quilts provide hope and comfort! Because . . . .

I am a survivor--four years now---with a good prognosis, one of the lucky ones, if you can call it that! Some women have not been as fortunate as I have, since there are different forms and stages of the disease. My journey started in October 2005 with a diagnosis in Texas. Most of my family lived in Oregon, so I did not want to undertake treatments without them. We immediately moved to be near them and have a support system. Although the emotional roller coaster has mostly subsided today, it is still present at times. One's own mortality is a mountain that we would all rather not climb. Support and hope are ingredients that are essential for the fight!


After surgeries and treatment I was able to return to work and life. I have several years of continuing treatment to go, making sure that cancer cells are prohibited from growing again!

One little hint. New research suggests Vitamin D is essential to women's health especially those of you who are younger.

So, I encourage every woman to become informed. I will not go into details--details are available elsewhere on the web. If diagnosed, or if you know someone who has been diagnosed, it is important that you are informed of your options. Fear does not facilitate good decisions. Make sure that you ask lots of questions. Call a reputable cancer agency that you trust and get their recommendations as to hospitals, doctors, or clinics that are up on the latest treatments and research. I called and found out that only one hospital in all of Oregon is recommended for the treatment of BC. So, you know where I went to find a doctor! Some hospitals and doctors say that they can do what you need, but get a second opinion.
Do your research, BE . AWARE and may you be blessed with good health!

8 comments:

Erika said...

Great post. And lovely quilt.

How do you go about finding the best treatment facility in your area?

Linda E. Pruitt said...

The point is, call the American Cancer Society, or any other respected agency. Ask about who in your area is recommended for care. If there is no one in your area, consider moving, at least temporarily to an area where you can get good care! You can also ask doctors/professionals in your area, who they would recommend. Be careful, tho, sometimes doctors will recommend their friends and associates. Just make sure that you respect and trust your doctor and hospital.

Linda E. Pruitt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I love the blanket! Thank you for sharing your story with us :)

Memories for Life said...

What a great post! Thank you for sharing your story!

storybeader said...

gosh Linda, what an emotional few years you've had! It was great that you could go back to Oregon, and be near your family. Be well, {:-Deb

Judy Nolan said...

Beautiful quilt, and great advice about being your own advocate!

Splendid Little Stars said...

First, let me say thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations on your 4-year mark. I have several friends who have had breast cancer. 2 of them are close friends whom I knew at the time of diagnosis, surgery, and chemo. I have sat through chemo treatments, watched over one friend for several hours at home after chemo, gone wig shopping... For one of my friends, we had a very special celebration lunch when she reached 5 years of cancer-free.
I also commend you for moving closer to family. Aspects of that must have been difficult.
On a positive note, for one of my friends when she was diagnosed with breast cancer and was going through treatment, she found that many people loved and cared about her. For us, we discovered how much we love her and care for her.