Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Shopping?

This year, with the economy the way it is, with many of us out of work, living with relatives, or on reduced incomes with only one spouse working, Christmas Shopping will be different this year.



Shopping? How about the local chain drug store? They have most everything, usually at cheaper prices. I love the commercial that shows Christmas carolers singing in the mall, singing about not shopping in the mall! It cracks me up!




Shopping? How about something homemade? I made a little dolly blanket and pillow out of scraps of fleece for my granddaughter.


Shopping? How about a coupon for a future dinner out, or a promised chore done? Put it in a little bag that you hand decorate, like the one here that I painted.



Shopping? How about framing a written poem, or letter written to the one you love? It will become a cherished gift! I know, we did it for our children one year when we were broke.

As long as we enjoy and honor one another, it will be a happy Christmas!

8 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I love your ideas :)

Pamela Baker said...

Last year - I did a lot of my shopping on Etsy, and this year most gifts will be handmade also. If only I could learn how to do video games!

Memories for Life said...

I think handmade gifts will be given in more homes this year than ever...I love it :)

Joy said...

Great stuff! Thanks for the ideas!

Splendid Little Stars said...

well said, Linda! I think I appreciate the gift of time more than anything. Your hand painted bag is great!

Emerson Bindery said...

Wonderful suggestions!

Marlene said...

Great suggestions Linda. I know this year is a lean one in our area, I have four children and three of them and there spouses are out of work. We are having Karaoke and Games, I have a few things I have bought (enough to cover everyone) to use as prizes in a couple of fun exchange games. It is enough to just be together with family.

By the way you are the winner in Our "Spirit of Christmas Treasure Hunt" at my Blog, get in touch and let me know what color you want your earrings, If you do not have pierced ears I will change it out for a pendant (color of your choice)

Erika said...

All the more reason to give handmade gifts this year....And I let my daughter decorate the wrapping paper on a couple of gifts:)