Friday, January 28, 2011

February is Heart Health Month

http://www.etsy.com/listing/20959007/heart-brooch-chocolate-and-pink
February is Heart Health Month.  I am always concerned about my heart health, because many in my family were plagued with heart problems.  I may be predisposed to inherited heart problems, but I am taking precautions none-the-less!  I do try to eat healthy, with lots of veggies, which I love and watch my fat intake with lean meats and no fatty pastries!  (Although I love pastries.)  Here is one of the recipes that I use for heart health, since it uses fish! I serve this with a green veggie, like baby Chinese broccoli or regular broccoli.  It was originally published in a Prevention Magazine Guide to Outsmart Diabetes.  Keeping your blood sugar down will also help heart health!
Tangerine Sesame Noodles with Seared Scallops

1/4 cup fresh tangerine juice (or orange)
3 T. reduced-sodium soy sauce (the only kind that I buy!)
3 T. creamy peanut butter
2 T. toasted sesame oil
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 tsp tangerine peel
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 cup snow peas
8 oz whole wheat spaghetti
2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
16 sea scallops (1 lb.) patted dry
    (although I do not use this many for the two of us, usually 6-8)
Pinch of salt
1 T canola oil (I use olive)
3 scallions, cut into thin diagonal slices

Combine the first six ingredients and 1/8 tsp of the ground red pepper in a large bowl and set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add peas and cook 1 minute.  Remove with slotted spoon and plunge into bowl of cold water (save the pot of hot water for spaghetti.) Drain peas and set aside.

Bring reserved water back to boiling.  Cook spaghetti according to package directions, omitting salt.  Drain and transfer to bowl with peanut butter mixture.  Add carrots and reserved peas.  Toss to mix. Set aside.

Season scallops with salt and remaining 1/8 tsp pepper.  In large skillet, (don't forget your skillet mitt) heat canola oil over high heat.  Cook scallops in two batches, without touching each other, 3-4 ,minutes on each side, or until golden brown and opaque  in center. 

Arrange pasta on  serving plates.  Top with scallops and sprinkle with scallions. 

This is literally one of my favorites; hubby and I enjoy it often!






6 comments:

CountryDreaming said...

Your scallops recipe looks like something I'll have to try! It will be a nice change from the way I do scallops ... marinated overnight in white or rose wine, lime or lemon juice, and butter, then fried and served with rice and green beans. Thanks for posting this!

storybeader said...

what a pretty dish! I love sea food! {:-D

TiLT said...

That looks like one yummy heart healthy recipe :)

Marlene said...

This looks and sounds divine. I love scallops and since I am diabetic and have been looking for recipes that fit well for me this is a winner.

foxygknits said...

Thanks so much for participating in the Love/Valentine's Day/Heart Health blog carnival!

tamdoll said...

This looks delicious!! I love scallops, will have to give it a try.