Thursday, January 24, 2013

Food Choices

Hubby and I were sitting in a local fast food eatery previous to going to the grocery store. (Everyone knows that you should not shop when you are hungry!)  We were discussing some research I had been doing on eating clean. (My daughter-in-law has a site and facebook about eating clean.  Here.)



You know, canned veggies sometimes are packed in BPA lined cans; milk may have the A1, not the A2 protein; fresh veggies--farmers market style-- need to be organic (clean), etc.  Many of these tidbits are not something my hubby likes to discuss, but he was attentive and entered into the conversation.  He wondered how much information that is passed around these days is just faddish, or scare tactics. Well, I am not anywhere near an expert and I am not one to blanketly believe everything that I hear either. But it is important to be careful with our choices when we buy our food.  Healthy is better, and I do believe that.

Changing a lifetime of habits can be difficult.  From my meager experience, I believe it is important to change gradually.  Like cutting out one type of food at a time.  I know this will sound silly, (but it is a start and a commitment):  stop ordering fries with your meal if you have to go through the drive thru. And don't replace it with anything! I know, I know, I can just hear you---"But potatoes are not bad for you, and I love the saltiness "  Well, forgoing it lowers your caloric intake and reduces the amount of fat that you are putting in your body. BTW--I drink diet soda with my hamburger, but there are pros and cons with that too!
Choices, 
Whatcha gonna do?

P.S.  Next month is Heart Health Month! 

5 comments:

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

We've been trying to eat better over the last couple of years, too. It can be hard and we definitely haven't cut out everything, but making small changes isn't too bad. One of the first things we did was switch over to organic mac and cheese instead of buying the regular stuff, haha.

Anonymous said...

Totally agreed. I think any reason you name to reduce product packaging is a great one- for waste purposes or just to keep your food safer. That's one reason why I started canning my own food this past year. A little bit at a time is a great philosophy though!

Trina Prenzi said...

We have been trying to eat better too, making better choices at the grocery store... Time is always an issue for us, and the cause of our not eating right... We just don't seem to have much time, eating 'on the run' is not good and we are working on that!

Mechelle said...

I have been trying to eat better. I do have certain yummy foods, but only at the weekend. Moderation is the key.

Splendid Little Stars said...

I have been interested in "healthy" eating for many, many years. One just feels better with good fuel.