Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Free Motion Quilting

I had a few questions, yesterday, about free motion quilting.  As I said yesterday, not all my readers are quilters, so I thought I might give a little illustration about the process.


Have your friend stand next to a table and hold your  pen straight up and down in one position so the tip is on the table.  Tell her not to move her hand nor the pen -- Except for a second so you can place paper under the tip. :) Now, you move the paper to make a drawing of something simple.  It's harder than you think!  Next, imagine moving a 45 by 74 inch quilt sandwich around under that pen until you have drawn on every inch of your "large 45 by 74 inch paper".  Oh . . . and you have to manipulate your large paper, all crumpled up, under your friends arm, between  her body and the pen!!

Sewing this way takes practice!  It is not like sewing a straight line.  You can "doodle"  all you want with free motion quilting.  Here are a couple of blog sites and books that have examples and other explanations if you are interested.

Book by  Don Linn
I have this book and use it, but there are a few others that I would like to have:
Dancing with Thread by Ann Fahl
Freemotion Quilting by Judy Woodworth 

and sites that I like: 

Have a great day!

8 comments:

Natashalh said...

It looks so pretty and flowing! I feel like if I tried, it would just turn into a huge mess.

Trina Prenzi said...

It's so pretty!

Memories for Life said...

Knowing that it's free motion quilting makes it that much more unique and special...very cool!

Melissa said...

Knowing this background to the technique is so helpful as a non-quilter. The time this would take definitely helps sort out the high cost of many well made quilts! Not to mention the beautiful fabrics, threads, machines, etc. you and your group of artists would use. It's my personal goal to save up to own one myself one day!

Unknown said...

Interesting - thanks for sharing -- It's great to see a small piece of the specialized work needed to put one of these together.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I will leave all that work to you and I will just look at the pretty quilt when it is all done!

Splendid Little Stars said...

very pretty!

Kim said...

that was very interesting! I am not a quilter so thank you for sharing the process:)