Monday, January 21, 2013

In Progress!

Some time back, I started a scrap quilt and had wanted to finish in one weekend.  But, alas, life interrupts us, and the quilt went into the unfinished black hole. . . er . . . box!  I am now a guest in a friend's awesome studio, with lots of room for quilting.  I had wanted to quilt three already finished tops into finished quilts in the time that I will be here in this studio.

One block of the unfinished top

I started on the afore mentioned scrap quilt and was going along at a pretty good pace, when I ran out of the thread that I had brought.  You would think that my friend's studio would have some similar black thread that I could use and replace, but no!  I tried some thread that she did have, but I think it was a fine, silky machine embroidery thread, and it just would not work in the quilting machine!  When I put it in the bobbin case and tried to use it, it just made a mass of  loops on the bottom side of the quilt, no matter what I did!  I tried everything!  I finally gave up. (Remember, I am still learning.)  So here's what I have done so far and I will try  to finish it again today with some different thread that I bought.   BTW, this is free motion quilting, for those of you who are not quilters, as I know not all my readers are.

Same block  with finish quilting
I sure would like to finish this soon, so I can go on to the next one!  I hope to show you the finished quilt later this week!  Wish me luck!

12 comments:

Natashalh said...

That's basically what I said to a to a friend early today - I'd better finish up my quilt so I can start on a new one! There are too many cool fabrics in the world.

Rose Clearfield said...

It looks great so far! Best of luck.

AntiquityTravelers said...

wonderful pattern you've got going with this one! good luck with that bobbin :)

pasqueflower said...

Looking good!!

Duni said...

I love your free motion design, Linda! How frustrating about the bobbin - I know just what you mean. I could be that it was just too loose wound or it is indeed the wrong type of thread. Good luck completing this project :)

Anonymous said...

Neat! Looks good so far! I hate it when you face a stumbling block like that under time constraints! Hopefully you work it out soon!

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

Sorry to hear about the technical difficulties, but I love the thread pattern! It looks great.

SarahBeth said...

Amazing how the quilting completely changes the look! I love the flowers blooming on your quilt block!
BTW -- the link to your friend's studio goes directly to blogger.com, rather than to her studio. Just wanted to let you know!!

storybeader said...

that quilting is amazing! I don't know how you do it (when you say freehand, I think of the non-automatic machines), but I'm very impressed. Nice that you friend is letting you use her equipment! {:-D

laura said...

I love the flowers - they look great!

Memories for Life said...

Very cool...love the flower look!

Splendid Little Stars said...

What you've done so far is lovely!