Thursday, May 31, 2012

Got Creative Correctness?

(Part two of my Got Creativity? series.  First article here. )

Do you feel that you must have your creations turn out exactly like you envision?  And absolutely with the correct techniques you are attempting?  Let me tell you, correctness is a killer!  There is an old saying that you need to remember, if you are in the afore mentioned state.  And this statement is not currently politically correct, either!  Remember:  "There is more than one way to skin a cat!" (I think this saying originated with hunters and they were referring to a polecat!)  Maybe a more politically correct saying that conveys the thought would be: "There is more than one way to get to Chicago." tee hee!

Just because a pattern, that you might be using, says that you must do the procedure one way, doesn't mean that it is the only way to complete the task! Honestly, if it were, there wouldn't be a plethora of craft/sewing books available that tell you how to approach it!  Let yourself go, try your craft like it feels right to you! Throw the rules out the window, just come up with a finished product that is pleasing and sound.  You will be invigorated, refreshed and motivated to move ahead with further creativity!  So what if you don't like the first attempt?  It's OK.  Try it again!  Remember Rule one: Stick-to-itiveness.  We talked about this in part one of this series)

Here's my example:  I first started with embroidery art hoops using just a line style and one color:



Next I tried filling in the design and came up with this which I am sure is not correct technique and, by-the-way, not one of may favorites pieces:



Next I tried some different techniques including a couching technique (on the grasses--enlarge and look closer) and came up with something that I do like:


Practice makes perfict . . . I mean perfect!!  Keep at it and don't let correctness stand in your way nor let it derail and stall you!

On to more creativity tomorrow!!!

9 comments:

Rose Clearfield said...

I love all of your designs! The bird is really sweet.

Kaili Williams said...

love that bird & this series :)

Kathleen said...

Oh so very true - I have had lots of projects that have changed direction mid stream and turned out just fine.

Kathleen said...

Oh so very true - I have had lots of projects that have changed direction mid stream and turned out just fine.

Kathleen said...

Oh so very true - I have had lots of projects that have changed direction mid stream and turned out just fine.

BeadedTail said...

My projects turn out somewhat close to what I envision but not all turn out purrfect. I have learned to let go of most of my perfectionist tendencies and just let things happen. It's a lot less stressful that way!

SarahBeth said...

It's hard for me to "color outside of the lines" so I have to really talk to myself if something isn't going as I envision it! Great post!

Splendid Little Stars said...

"Correctness" can really get in the way of creativity. Sometimes by doing things differently, you come up with something really great.
love the bird!

Anonymous said...

So true- sometimes when you break the rules on purpose you come up with your best designs!