Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Got Talent?

(Part one in a series of articles on your attitude of creativity.)

Do you struggle with your creativity?  Do you think that others were just born with it?  You think, others just "have what it takes" and do not struggle with making lovely things. I, personally, think creativity is a matter of style and "stick-to-ativeness".  (Like my new word?  -- It's creative!)  Yes, I agree, takes a few times to do something to perfect it! In the process, you find things that you would do differently the next time.  But stick to it!  You'll get it.

As to style, I understand that my style is not like someone else's.  If you are trying to reproduce someone else's style, you will never be satisfied.  Just keep working on your own designs until you are satisfied with your own creativity! And quit comparing yourself to others!  You are unique!

My pansy quilt and matching pillow cover

I often have tried to compare my quilting to some of those beautiful creations that I see in the quilt shows.  Mine are nothing like those!  But I have come to accept my creations as an extension of me!  They are creative, pleasing, and talented!  I have learned that I have a "child-like" quality to my work, and that is OK.  Anyone ever hear of Grandma Moses? Her creations--her artwork--was primitive and hot (in her time) for an old lady! "Child-like" was OK!

I had a friend  who considered herself "craft-challenged"  but when we had a get-together, she participated and came up with lovely quilt squares for our group project.  I don't think any of us are UNtalented.  Just take a browse thru Etsy and you will see! And make sure you "keep at it"!

7 comments:

BeadedTail said...

Our differences are what is so fun about buying handmade!

pasqueflower said...

I enjoyed this post. I am also a quilter, and I know how humbling it is to compare my own work to the incredible quilts I see at national shows. Love your pansy pillow.

Splendid Little Stars said...

agreed! We are all, every one of us, creative. We may not all be creative in the same way. But that's what makes the world more interesting. Everyone has something unique to contribute.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! It's so true: I always used to tell parents & students when I was teaching art that you really can't compare yourself to someone else in this way. Especially intimidating is drawing, so I use that as an example, but that everyone draws differently. You have to come to a place of confidence with your own style and recognize that different is great!

Ritha said...

Nice read and I like your new word, stick-to-ativeness. I'm sticking to it too:)

Erika said...

Great post. If we all did everything the same the world would be boring. And we would not have the art and advancements we have today. So stick to it and be who you are!

storybeader said...

I've learned that sticking with something and practice will bring reward, in everything you do. I always thought that I couldn't draw a portrait, but then I practiced, and what do you know? I finally got it! {:-D