Friday, November 11, 2011

The Square!

Recently I did a craft show, which I have done many times before, but this show I had a new 'gadget' to help with sales!!!  Square is a credit/debit card reader that plugs into your android or smart phone and allows you to take payments!  My son originally told me about this new device.  The best part about it: it's free!  Obviously you pay a fee each time you swipe for payment which amounts to 2.75 percent, which is less than most credit card processing companies charge.  But to order the device, there is no fee.  It arrives in just a few days; next you sign up for an account online; then you download the free app to your phone, sign in to your account, plug in your card reader and you are ready to go!

I used the device at my show, which worked fine and was a big hit with the customers.  People are always interested in new gadgets and I had people standing around my booth just to watch!!  The only problem seemed to be an older card that would not read, even though it was tried several times. But this is not unusual, since I have had this happen with one of my older cards at the supermarket! Anyway, my customer's daughter used her card and I still made the sale!

Another craft bazaar is coming up in a week and I plan to use it again.  People only carry so much cash to a craft show and  I am hoping that the ability to process credit card payments will enhance my sales, especially on larger items (like quilts).

Anyone else using the Square or planning to??? Love to know what you think.

12 comments:

Patti said...

What a fab idea...I'll have to try it!

Unknown said...

I heart square! I don't do craft shows, but I do use it for local sales and it is so wonderful. People love the idea of keeping everything electronic too! No paper receipts.

Duni said...

I haven't heard or seen this before, but that is one useful gadget!

Tiffany Barry said...

I have never heard of that little gadget, but I'm already in love with it!!

I definitely think it would help with sales!

Erika said...

I am glad the square worked for you. I know that being able to process cards can make a big difference for some at shows. I will have to look into something like this for the future.

Erika
Artful Rising

Memories for Life said...

I love my Square too! They are great for shows!
And if you can't swipe one, you can enter it manually as well. I believe there is a slightly higher fee, but still very reasonable!

Splendid Little Stars said...

That's so awesome! What a great device! I don't have an android or smart phone at present, though.
When I still had the store, I could take people's cards at craft shows. Of course, this was the old old-fashioned way of writing on a carbon copy slip. Being able to take credit cards does make a difference.
Thanks for sharing this, Linda!

Judy Nolan said...

I have a Square, too, and it's a great little gadget. Good luck to you at your next show using it!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful info Linda! Hubby is currently researching credit card readers for my up in coming show. I'll have to share this review with him. Glad it helped you make more sales!!

Rose Clearfield said...

I'm glad that the square worked so well for you! I currently have a Blackberry, which is one of the few "smart" phones that isn't compatible with it. :( Otherwise I'd sign up for it in a second! Maybe with my next phone. I keep hearing good things about it.

Linda B said...

Linda, thanks so much for sharing. I got one (a friend told me), but I don't have a Smartphone yet, hehe.

Keep up those sales!

storybeader said...

I haven't done a show for a long time, but what a handy device! People like using credit cards for expensive items... {:-D