Monday, November 14, 2011

T-Shirt Quilt in Progress


Colleen's Life T-Shirt Quilt
 I know, I know . . . . I did an "in Progress" post a few weeks ago . . . .and I never showed the finished project!  Well, I'm like most of you, I think, and I have several projects going at one time.  The quilted baby blanket that I spoke about earlier is not finished.  The quilting being done is taking quite some time, and is difficult on my old sewing machine.  I definitely want a walking foot for Christmas!!!
Interruptions of a craft show, my Design shop Birthday sale, house sitting for a friend, a giveaway, and choir dresses to hem--eight of them--have impeded my progress! I will get back to the quilt soon and show it to you!  I promise!! 

Anyway, I want to show another project that I am working on.  I know . . I know . . . I've featured my oldest granddaughter in several posts lately, but I want to follow-up on one that I wrote about her graduation present.  (You may have missed it, because it was also about the Last day of the Sale that I hosted--I think it got lost in all the sale hype!) I can finally show you the work in progress.  Her Life T-Shirt Quilt:

Mind you, it is not finished, I will finish it when I am house sitting again at my friends house over Thanksgiving. She has an awesome huge sewing room and I will finish the quilt there. My friend recommended using this 'quilt as you go method.'  The seams are cut in a fringe style and I really like it since t-shirt material tends not to fray and this makes a nice finish for the quilt. 

This quilt has several layers. When cutting a portion of the front of a t-shirt, I cut an identical piece from the back side and used it for a batting. The printed portion is re-enforced with a thin iron on interfacing to provide stability for each design, and besides, it's t-shirt material, very stretchy.  I needed to do something to limit the stretch.  Then the backing, not shown, is a flannel.  This quilt will be very soft and cuddly when it is finished!  I can't wait to see it finished!!

What are you working on that may have taken a back seat to another project?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda- love the idea! I've heard of this before, but never seen it done. Looks like a time consuming project, but I'm sure your granddaughter will love it!

Linda B said...

Linda, what a great idea, T-shirts!

My back burner project is organizing papers and stamping supplies around the house.

Beading is not too often a back burner, I get withdrawals, hehe

Now I just have to edit pics to get them up.

Splendid Little Stars said...

great quilt! Thanks for describing exactly how you're doing it. This is a wonderful idea and will be a fabulous gift!
My projects are always exchanging seats.
(PS: It's fun to hear about your grandchildren!)

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh I have quite a few of those projects...started and waiting to be finished...LOL! It's so good to know I'm not alone:D I can't wait to see your finished product!

Also, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment:)

BeadedTail said...

That quilt is fabulous Linda! I love how you're doing it! Your granddaughter will love it! My mom made me a t-shirt/sweatshirt quilt last year and it's the most comfy, cozy quilt ever!

storybeader said...

that's going to be one soft quilt. And how fun, to take them from t-shirts! Love the idea! Good luck with all your projects! {:-D

Kathleen said...

What fun! Those are great projects. Delightful that you can use your friends sewing room, too =) DD and I *finally* got a chance to work on our book again! yay! That is a much better back burner project than sweeping the floor... or moving the rabbit pen... *wanders off to check her list*

Rose Clearfield said...

The quilt looks great so far! I can't wait to see the finished product.

I started a counted cross-stitch project back in 2008 right before I started making jewelry. Cross-stitch was the main crafting activity that I did from 2003-2008 so I was ready for a break, but I would like to finish that last project eventually.

Judy Nolan said...

Oh, you're good, Linda! I have a box of T-shirts that need to be incorporated into SOMETHING. They've been sitting there for so long that my husband almost donated them.