Saturday, December 15, 2012

Cream Puff Bonanza!

Last week, I showed you how to make puffs - here!  One of my readers said, "Move over, Rachel Ray!"  I laughed, because I am not a foodie, and usually like to take short cuts when I cook, but it was a cute comment!  Thanks!

Anyway, I promised to share some recipes for puff fillings.  I am choosing to to do this by links to other awesome cooks through pinterest and blogs. and then a recipe of my own later.  I hope you will visit these blogs and then try some of the ideas!

*******************************************************************************
This blog post, from "What you give away, you keep" gives instructions about how to prepare not only the pastry creme filling, but how to "refresh" your frozen puffs!  Please visit Bella's blog and comment on her recipes--she has links to oodles from all over the world!

Creme puffs with chocolate ganache
********************************************************************************

This next one is a chocolate version from Melita's Cafe Chocolada blog.

Chocolate Cream Puff
********************************************************************************

And the creme de la creme (in my book, anyway!)  a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens:
Pumpkin-filled Cream Puffs with Maple Carmel Sauce!  (Beats my little whipped-cream-filled, cherry-pie- filling-topped recipe previously shown!)

Better Homes and Gardens recipe
*******************************************************************************
And then there are the fillings for the larger puffs for hors d'oeuvres or luncheons! Slice the puff in half exposing the airy spaces in the puff.  (This is the beauty of puffs, they have air spaces or bubbles that hold the filling and provide a light pastry experience.)  Then fill them with your own favorite recipe of chicken salad, ham salad, vegan delight or what ever your little heart desires!  Since luncheon puffs do not usually have a sweet topping, don't forget to garnish your plate next to the puff with a sprig of parsley, or a pretty fruit!

Here's a recipe for Deviled Ham Puffs:

3 cans (4.25 oz each) deviled ham
1 T. prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/3 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients, and refrigerate.  Just before serving, slice the puffs, and fill with your mixture, amount depending on the size of your puff -- for a small appetizer puff, maybe a rounded teaspoonful. Enjoy!

Today I am linking with RandomCreative's Saturday Link List.  Go on over and see what other link lists that might be interesting to you!  



6 comments:

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

When I was very young, I made cream puffs for the first time. I had never eaten them before. I was disappointed that they were filled with air -- I had no idea one was supposed to fill them with fillings! Ah yes, young and stupid.

Memories for Life said...

Yup, those look so good! That maple caramel sauce has me drooling!

Splendid Little Stars said...

mmmm...inspirational!

Warm Heart Bears said...

They all sound so delicious! Merry Christmas!

Annesphamily said...

I need a recipe for high altitude! My mother made St. Joseph Cream Puffs and I loved them! But living in the Denver area now, it is hard to bake in this high altitude!

This is so yummy looking! Sigh!

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

HPS!

Delicious! Love these!


Gabriela